Saturday 12 January 2013

I Didn't Go to Class But Did a Canvas

Today at The Paperie, the local and favourite scrapbooking store, there is a class on Mixed Media given by Sara Case Strickland and Cathie Reed. I love mixed media so I decided to challenge myself to do a canvas today along with my friends who were doing the class. (I didn't attend the class because knowing me I would have driven Sara nuts................ I do my own thing!)

Here is my finished canvas


Using Golden paints I painted the canvas and then I proceeded to Create. I used Liquitex light modeling paste and a TCW Stencil  called peony to make the suns (mixed  paste with a little paint) and also used the paste to add lace at the bottom of the canvas.

This gave the canvas a lot of texture.


After painting the lace as grass I then looked around my room for any thing I would like to add. Using my Sizzix  Big Shot and some dies I cut out a tree using Claudine Hellmuth sticky back canvas and some leaves using scraps of paper. I then adhered them to the canvas. I added bird using Donna Downey's foam stamp bird 3". Then using  TCW stencils I added a bird on a branch and some clouds (traced on paper and cut). 





 I added some chipboard letters (unsure of brand) and painted the canvas in Burnt Sienna paint. Added some Studio Calico wood veneer birds, people and butterflies painted with Viva Decor Inka Gold and then covered the whole canvas in Golden Regular Matte Gel Medium.  I used some blue rubbing paste over the letters.

Again here is the finished canvas...................


I really enjoyed this challenge. I worked fast and really didn't do a lot of planning ahead so I made a few mistakes but I think overall it turned out pretty good.

Challenge yourself with no planning and see what you get it is fun and at times frustrating but not thinking to much is nice once in awhile. I think I will try this again but maybe next time it will be  something else.

Take Care
Marg




4 comments:

  1. gorgeous Marg - love the lace grass; I might even try that on a scrapbook layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this canvas! And you don't drive me nuts - I know you do your own thing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete